Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Our adventures


Life is filled with a thousand daily adventures - there are things that terrify, things that inspire, things that invoke fear and doubt and joy. Sometimes, these things can all be found in individual journeys.

Frankie and I, we are embarking on two major adventures that at different times have not just evoked these emotions but a thousand or two others to go along with it. Sometimes good and at other times I have struggled to find good in it at all. But this is what human nature, what living is all about (at least that's what they say).

Frankie and I are trying to have a baby. Seems simple enough. Well, it seems that it isn't. Our journey is still in the infantile stages really and yet I feel as though the journey has already taken a life time. I have had exploratory surgery, looked at a detailed histories of unknown families in profiles all to find sperm (I dont know this much detail about my own family) and have been taking so many vitamins and tablets of all kinds I am beginning to feel like I could open up my own pharmaceutical company. There have been moments of pure excitement, visions of our family, of our little stranger. There have also been the fears, the doubts and the horrors that come with caring that much about another who in reality may or may not even come in to our lives. It's a stressful situation. Financially and emotionally draining, but there is more I would suffer for the chance to meet our little stranger.

But this is only part of our major adventures at the moment.

It's been awhile now, but things are at a point where they are progressing and it's all swimming around in my head like murky water with secrets too hidden through the thick colouring of the unknown.

Frankie is transgendered. For years I have known to some extent that she didn't feel right in her skin. There were days and sometimes even weeks where it wouldn't be an issue but those are fewer and further between now. Frankie has embarked on this journey and through many conversations, tears and break downs, I will travel this journey along side him, as his wife as I was before and will continue to be. In this we are also at a sort of first steps stages in the journey.

I have struggled with writing anything about it for several reasons. Firstly, not everyone in mine nor in Frankie's life know about the transition from female to male. It's not something you can always simply slip into conversation. Coming out wasn't always easy, and I feel for Frankie because he has to do it all over again. Another reason I have delayed in truly writing about it, is because I have felt as though I had no right. This is Frankie's journey, Frankie's story, surely it's not my place to write it down. In some ways that's true. I don't and can't know exactly what it is like to be transgender, but I am on this path with Frankie, and the journey I can write about, talk about is the one of taking the steps beside him to find a happier truer self for who he is.

Life is still filled with the smaller daily achievements, adventures, frustrations and disappointments. The larger adventures do not take away from these, but I've noticed in myself of late, they have helped me carry a slightly different perspective to them.

NC

4 comments:

  1. The journey does ease gentle Neen, eventually the pieces fall together and the hills get smaller. Steffi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I thought this might be the case (Frankie being your husband :) ) when I've looked at your photos on instagram. I'm pretty sure you guys can survive anything - you're a strong, loving couple and you've already had your fair share of hurdles. Much love to you and to Frankie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that has been the most common reaction we have had so far C-J ... Lol, and thank you sweetheart. We must catch up soon my lovely xo

      Delete